Total Pageviews

Friday, February 21, 2014

Max Weber, Calvinism and the Idea of Servitude


A form of Presbyterian Christianity is referred to in the novel, the representative of which is Helen Burns. Helen Burns’s Scottish origins signify that the Presbyterian creed in England traces its roots back to Presbyterian churches in Scotland. The origins of the Presbyterian churches in Scotland were in Calvinism.
Calvinism was a doctrine propagated by John Calvin which argued that God had “predestined” for all time, and unalterably, only a tiny minority to be saved; everyone else was condemned to eternal damnation. In other words, one’s salvation status had been pre ordained. Max Weber saw such a concept of predestination as leading to massive fatalism, loneliness and anxiety among the believers.  Thereafter the ascetic Protestants after Calvin modified the doctrine so as to address the concern of the believers.  They held the belief that this world existed in order to serve God’s glory and hence the purpose of the believer’s life was to contribute to the creation of His kingdom.  It was the believer’s duty to work, and this also served to promote one’s usefulness to society which in turn was a manifestation of the glory of God.  And not just duty to work but the duty to work in a vocational calling, increased the believer’s self confidence in considering himself amongst the saved. This focusing, through continuous and systematic work, of the energies of the devout upon God and His plan served the further purpose of keeping in check man’s animal desires.

This is the idea of servitude that we see propagated in Jane Eyre:

“During these eight years my life was uniform: but not unhappy because it was not inactive.”
 ““A new servitude! There is something in that,” I soliloquized (mentally, be it understood; I did not talk aloud). “I know there is, because it does not sound too sweet; is it not like such words as Liberty, Excitement, Enjoyment: delightful sounds truly; but no more than sounds for me; and so gollow and fleeting that it is mere waste of time to listen to them. But Servitude! That must be a matter of fact. Any one may serve: I have served here eight years; now all I want is to serve elsewhere.””

And with respect to Jane’s vocational calling, which is drawing:

“That night on going to bed, I forgot to prepare in my imagination the Barmecide supper of hot roast potatoes, or white bread and new milk, with which I was wont to amuse my inward cravings; I feasted instead on the spectacle of ideal drawings, which I saw in the dark; all the work of my own hands: freely penciled houses and trees, picturesque rocks and ruins…..”

And when she becomes governess to Adele;

“I then proposed to occupy myself till dinner-time in drawing some little sketches for her use.”
And when she shows her portfolio to Mr.Rochester;
“”Where did you get your copies?”
“Out of my head.””
Which goes on to show that drawing was Jane’s talent, her gift of grace from God and therefore does at least constitute her calling, even if It is not her vocation right then.

No comments:

Post a Comment